The Seats of Government
Parliament Hill in Ottawa was designed by Thomas Fuller and Chilion Jones in the Victorian High Gothic style and completed in 1876 along with many of the other Parliament buildings of the area. The building was destroyed by fire on 3 February 1916 but was restored and then later in 1927 the peace Tower was completed which was dedicated to the Canadians that had lost their lives in the First World War. It is a national landmark and attracts over 3 million tourists a year.
The Ontario Legislative Building, as we now it presently, is the fourth building for the Parliament of Ontario and was officially opened on 4 April 1893 and is now the seat of the provincial government of Ontario. It was designed by Richard A. Waite in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and by its completion cost approximately CAD$1,250,000.
Toronto’s Old City Hall, located at the Corner of Queen St. and Bay St., was designed by prominent Toronto architect Edward James Lennox in the Romanesque Revival style and was completed in 1899. Now a designated National Historic Site this civil building was home to Toronto city council from 1899 to 1966. It is currently used as a court house for the Ontario Court of Justice.
This is the building where the Mayor currently presides and it was designed by Viljo Revell and completed by September of 1965. City Hall is surrounded by Nathan Philips Square which has annual festivals such as the New Year’s Celebrations and the Cavalcade of Lights. It also has a skating rink that is open to the public in the winter.